Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Persepolis


I read Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi as my second book for the Women Unbound Challenge. It's a graphic-novel style memoir about a girl living in Iran in the late 1970s and early 1980s during the Islamic Revolution in Iran and the Iran-Iraq war. When the story starts, Satrapi is nine and it ends a few years later. It's all through her eyes, so at times the writing seemed a little too - although I can understand Satrapi's approach since it's supposed to feel like a little girl is telling the story.

I enjoyed Persepolis, but I wasn't totally completely drawn in like I wish I had been. The ending was a little bit abrupt to me, but it may have felt that way because I was tired when I was reading it.

That said, I think the art work had some really awesome images. For example, there's one full page image that shows her feelings about a family trip to Spain and Italy. It's so whimsical and light - they're even riding on a magic carpet. I wish I could find a picture of it but google has failed me. So you'll just have to imagine. I think the art work really did a fantastic job at really bringing the story's emotions to life.

I'm tempted to read the second volume of this story, because I would like to see how the story continues. My library seems to have a few copies of it, so it shouldn't be hard to get hold of it.

No comments: