Friday, December 18, 2009

The Little Prince

I started a book club with a few friends a year and a half ago after watching The Jane Austen Book Club. We all wanted to read more classics, so after we each chose a book, we started working our way through classics. Book club has taken a turn and now I'm choosing everything we read and I've been trying to encourage trying different genres and allowing us to all grow through our reading and discussion. I've also been working on coming up with activities to do together that pertain to themes, etc in our choice book.

All that to say, December's book club choice was Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince. I wanted to find something easy to pick up and quick to read because the holiday season has a habit of being exceptionally busy. For most of us, this was a re-read. I had actually only read it in French before, so it was fun to read it in English (my native language). The other reason I chose this book was because it's easier to find gift charities for children - the activity I chose was to donate to Toys for Tots together due to the book's theme of a child's imagination.

The little prince follows a man whose plane crashes in the desert. He meets the "little prince" who comes from a very small planet. I love how simple The Little Prince is. It reminds me to stop worrying about everything: the lists, the schedule, etc. It's a good reminder to stop and smell the roses, to cherish the time we spend with each other. I loved being able to follow the little prince on his travels and I definitely wanted to hug him repeatedly through the story. The fact that the author did all the illustrations makes it an even sweeter story.

No comments: