Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Library Loot


Library Loot is a weekly event hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they've checked out from the library. If you'd like to participate too, just write up a post - feel free to steal the button - and link it using Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course, check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

Head on over to Marg's post here for Mr. Linky.

I actually got a bunch of books from the library in the past week. I picked up books twice... once on Friday and once today. I did return a bunch of books both times though, so I don't feel too bad for having so many borrowed at once.

 
Fables by Bill Willingham. I saw Eva's review of this a while back and it sounded so interesting. I've been having a hard time without Neil Gaiman's Sandman series (I'm up to book 6 but that ended up in storage and I can't find that volume at the library) and needed a new graphic novel series to start. I'm so looking forward to this. 


1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham. I also grabbed the prequel series which started publication in 2006, four years after the first volume of Fables was published.

Two pictureless books about book reviewing that I found in the library system, both published in the 1970s:
Writing Book Reviews by John Drewry - I've started this one already and I like it so far.
Book Reviewing by Sylvia E. Kamerman


Zorro by Isabel Allende. I read The House of the Spirits in high school and loved it. This will be my second Allende. I got it on audio book when I stumbled across it on Friday.


Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I started this a while ago. I own the entire series (in storage, with everything else). But I never bothered to finish it. And now it's time. This is on audio as well.




Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman. This was another in the quest to read all of Neil Gaiman's work. I finished this on Monday night. And I loved it. Like I love everthing he writes.


Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. Got this on audio book because I kept hearing so many good things about him. But I couldn't finish it because I really didn't like it. So I returned it today. One of the nice things about the library is being able to return books without guilt.

And then I went back to the library today after work let out a little early, and I picked up six more books.

 
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. A confession. I am 25 and I have never read any Austen before. I wasn't sure what order to read them, so I decided to just go in the order Wikipedia lists them. So this is the first one. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it - I have enjoyed most of the movie adaptations I've seen of Austen novels.


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. A friend of mine read this and loved it. And recommended it to everyone via Facebook when the movie came out. So I decided to try it.


 A Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka. I know my library recommended this one and it takes place in Poland (some of my family immigrated to America from there), but I can't for the life of me remember what it's about. Hopefully it will be good. :)


Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I have wanted to read this for the last seven years. I have no idea why I haven't read it yet. Wicked is coming to my hometown soon and I'm hoping to see it too.


The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. For the Terry Pratchett 2010 Reading Challenge, which starts 12/1. I'm really looking forward to this.


Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. For the Women Unbound Challenge.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've got so many good books on this post - I'm jealous! I've been meaning to read the Fables series, and I feel like an idiot that I didn't know about Odd and the Frost Giants. I read and enjoyed Zorro last year, and I adore the Hitchhiker's Guide and quite like Pratchett as well (although the wizard books aren't my favorite, I'll admit), plus Jane Austen is a real treat, as is The Time Traveler's Wife. Like I said, I'm jealous - I want to read some of these books for the first time again!

Marg said...

Great loot! And I am pleased to see that you have got your first Terry Pratchett book for the challenge.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Fables are fantastic! I'm reading the Fables novel Peter and Max right now and am really enjoying it.

Glad you liked Odd and the Frost Giants. It was a very nicely done novella. He is such a fantastic writer.

I hope you like Time Traveler's Wife. It was one of my favorite reading experiences when I picked it up a few years ago.

Jacqui said...

legxleg: I somehow missed out on reading a lot of awesome books, so they've been sitting on my TBR list for a bit. I'm making a conscious effort to read mostly books on the list, as it's almost 850 at this point (I have an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of it). I'm definitely enjoying Jane Austen so far. And The Time Traveler's Wife is likely the next one I'll start since I keep hearing such great things about it.

Marg: I actually bought The Color of Magic earlier this year when I found myself without a book on my way home from a business trip but I ended up having to do work. So I never got around to reading it. I'm so excited to start reading it next month!

Carl: Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, so I'm trying to get through everything he's written. I'm definitely looking forward to Fables and The Time Traveler's Wife.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you picked up a lot of great books! I especially liked The Time Traveler's Wife, and Isabel Allende is always a good choice. I haven't read Zorro, but I've been drawn to it several times already. Probably one day.