Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Library Loot


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries! Marg has the Mr. Linky here.

I got a bunch of books this week, and I'm really excited about them. :)

Audio Books
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Benjamin Button and Other Stories
Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

Books about the sun and other stars (because I got curious after reading on the Old Farmer's Almanac about how the sun affects our weather)
John Eddy, A New Sun: The Solar Results from Skylab
Donald Cooke, The Life and Death of Stars
Steele Hill, The Sun
Fire of Life, The Smithsonian Book of the Sun
Sten Odenwald, The 23rd Cycle: Learning to Live With a Stormy Star
Leon Golub & Jay Pasachoff, Nearest Star: The Surpring Science of Our Sun

Other Books
Elmore Leonard, Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing
George Johnson, Miss Leavitt's Stars: The Untold Story of the Woman Who Discovered How to Measure the Universe
Mark Kurlansky, Salt: A World History
Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude
Leila Aboulela, Minaret

3 comments:

Anastasia @ Here There Be Books said...

The only one of these I've read myself is the Neil Gaiman book (and I really liked it). The George Johnson books looks really good, though! I' shall have to add it to my TBR list.

Jacqui said...

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. I'm working my way through everything he's written so far and I keep just loving his writing more.

I just finished Miss Leavitt's Stars over the weekend and I really liked it. I definitely recommend it. I discovered that it's part of a series of books called Great Discoveries by a bunch of different authors about several discoveries that impacted our society. Here's the link to it: http://atlasandco.com/copublishing-projects/great-discoveries/

Marg said...

I need to read more Gaiman.

I'll be interested to see what you think of One Hundred Years of Solitude. I loved that book, but I read it in a group and there were others who really, really didn't! I've gone on to read more from GGM and they are all great reads IMO.