Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files & Turn Coat

This is one of my favorite series ever. I love the characters and how they develop over the course of the series. Butcher pulls in mythology and geekery everywhere he can, which enhances the story if you know it but doesn't ruin it if you miss it (and I probably miss a lot more than I catch). Butcher writes in a way that's easy to read and is very addictive. Reading the series over again has me reading deeper into the story and asking more questions.

Turn Coat:
I've finished Small Favor in October, so I had to wait about six months to read Turn Coat. There were things I thought I had figured out but I definitely didn't. I feel like I took two steps back in terms of figuring out what's going on. This was the saddest of the series so far, which leaves me wondering where Butcher is going to take it next. The characters actually disappointed me with their actions, which is purposeful on Butcher's part, and makes me hope that maybe they can redeem themselves during the rest of the series. Butcher also didn't bother with his usual introduction chapter. The first page opens with Morgan knocking on the door bloodied up and asking Harry to hide him from the Wardens.

I'm excited for the next one, but I'm not dying to read it like I was between Small Favor and Turn Coat. It may also take a little time before my impatience wears me to the point that I can't wait any longer for the next book.

No comments: